St. Benedict Cathedral School was begun as a ministry of parish in 1913. From the beginning, the Benedictine Sisters of Ferdinand, Indiana, staffed the school. In addition to building a strong faith formation for students, our school has been known for academic excellence and an emphasis on the arts since the beginning. Along with their Benedictine mascot, the Ravens, the Ferdinand Sisters have continuously served our parish school for over 105 years. Currently on staff is Sister Judy Dewig who is our learning specialist.
The original building, now St. Meinrad Hall, was completed in 1913 and served as convent, school, cafeteria and church (top floor). After the convent (which is now the Parish Center), rectory and church were built, St. Meinrad housed more than 1,000 students in the late 1940’s.
St. Scholastica Hall, long known as the “new school”, was built in 1952. This building added seven classrooms and provided a much needed gym, cafeteria and auditorium for school and parish functions.
St. Benedict Hall, our newest addition connecting the other two buildings, was completed in 2004. This facility contains administrative offices, PS/PK classrooms, library, state of the art computer and science labs as well as school/parish meeting rooms on the lower level. This last addition made the entire school campus enclosed in one building providing updated security and monitoring.
Future plans call for connecting the school with a passage to our Cathedral.