Diocesan Report and Inform Policy
Children are the most important gifts God has entrusted to us. The Diocese of Evansville is committed to safeguarding minors, who are persons under eighteen (18) years of age.
Immediately report the suspected abuse or neglect of a minor to the Department of Child Services (DCS) or to a local law enforcement agency.
• State of Indiana DCS Hotline: 1-800-800-5556
• Local law enforcement: 9-1-1
* * * * * * * * * *
If a bishop has (a) performed sexual acts with a minor or a vulnerable person; (b) forced someone to perform or to submit to sexual acts through violence, threat, or abuse of authority; (c) produced, exhibited, possessed, or distributed child pornography, including by electronic means, or recruited or induced a minor or vulnerable person to participate in pornographic exhibitions; or (d) executed actions or omissions intended to interfere with or avoid a civil or Church (canonical) investigation into allegations of sexual abuse committed by a cleric or religious: after reporting to DCS or to a local law enforcement agency, inform the Catholic Bishop Abuse Reporting service, which is a third party reporting service for gathering and relaying such reports to the appropriate Church authorities.
• Make a report online at www.reportbishopabuse.org or call 1-800-276-1562.
If the sexual abuse of a minor involves a priest, deacon, candidate for ordination, pastoral minister, administrator, staff person, or volunteer: after reporting to DCS or to a local law enforcement agency, inform the diocesan victim assistance coordinator.
• Toll-free: 866-200-3004
• Local: 812-490-9565
* * * * * * * * * *
The sexual abuse of a minor also includes:
• A vulnerable person is any person in a state of infirmity, physical or mental deficiency, or deprivation of personal liberty which, in fact, even occasionally limits their ability to understand or to want or otherwise resist the offense.
• Child pornography, which is any representation of a minor, regardless of the means used, involved in explicit sexual activities, whether real or simulated, and any representation of sexual organs of minors for primarily sexual purposes.