From Fr. Godfrey
– PORT-DE-PAIX, HAITI. Our sister cathedral in Port-de-paîx, Haiti, was just 12 miles from the epicenter of a major earthquake this past week. This weekend, we will have available white envelopes for your financial assistance for that parish. This money will go directly to our sister parish. Thank you for any support you can offer. The rector of the cathedral there emailed me on Tuesday to tell me that there is damage to the cathedral and that many of the parishioners are now sleeping in the parish hall since their homes have become inhabitable or destroyed. I assured Fr. Rodolphe of our prayers and our support.
– STEWARDSHIP RENEWAL. This past Sunday was our Commitment Sunday for our Stewardship Renewal. Again, here is the rationale: God has been good to us with many gifts, but expects us to use those gifts for good. Our response is gratitude, which rightly becomes generosity. EVERY PARISH HOUSEHOLD IS ASKED TO RETURN A COMMITMENT CARD. All families who intend to receive active parishioner tuition rates for 2019-2020 must return a card. But let’s face it: if we take anything at all from our parish family, we ought to be joyful in offering our gifts back to God!
– REPARATION & HEALING. More than 150 people gathered at Sacred Heart on Monday evening for an evening of prayer of healing and reparation. Afterwards, there was almost an hour of questions to Bishop Siegel, all of which he answered gently and directly. Let’s pray for the bishops as they prepare to meet in November where they will strive to make an appropriate response. Pope Francis has requested that we pray the Rosary and the two prayers on the cover of the bulletin. However we choose, let us all pray and work for God’s grace to bring healing.
– RENOVATION. For the next few weeks, I’ll strive to communicate better about the renovation. We’ll all need to be willing to accept some temporary, minor inconveniences. In advance, I thank you for your patience and good cheer as we await the renovation to come to completion. It’s scheduled to take 11 months. I’d also ask that we all pray for the safety of those working on the renovation.
– PARENTS. Thank God, my parents continue to do well. Dad is in a good routine. Mom is cheerful.