From Fr. Godfrey
– SCHOOL COUNCIL. At their meeting last week, the School Council selected Natalie Hedde as chair, Elizabeth Warren as vice chair, and Lisa Teague as secretary. Thanks, ladies, for stepping forward into this leadership! Thanks also to Dan Diehl, Elizabeth Warren, and Audra Douglas who just finished their two-year term as officers on the school council. Finally, my thanks to all who completed their term on the council and have not renewed: Rachel Cleveland, Patrick Dempsey, Audra Douglas.
– SCHOOL. School is off to a great start for the year. A new feature for us this year are Houses. Each grade was randomly divided into five groups. One fifth of each grade forms a house — students from grades 5-8. The idea is to foster practical leadership in the older students, create better community across the grades, and encourage good deeds. The houses compete for points, mostly for doing good things. Great initiative on the part of our school staff.
– THANK YOU. Recently, I’ve had a difficult time with hearing gossip about me and the parish. It’s easy for me to let that get to me. But then I remember all the parishioners who so cheerfully give of their time, talent, and treasure, and their genuinely kind support, and I realize there are far more of them. Let’s all strive to be people of integrity, gentleness, and kindness.
– FUND RAISING. Just a reminder: no one should represent St. Benedict Cathedral in raising funds for anything without the pastor knowing that it’s going on. Recently, I’ve been informed of a fund-raising effort for a project that we cannot complete. Thanks for abiding by the law of the Church.
– ARRIVALS. As you can see, part of the pews have arrived. Thanks be to God! The shrines have arrived for the front of church. And the marble from Italy made it at least to Chicago so far. We’re getting there. Again, thanks to all for your generosity with the renovation!